Saturday, April 3, 2010

A Memorable Weekend

Saturday, March 20 & Sunday, March 21 will go down in history (Well, in my books anyway) as a memorable weekend that was SO cool! Can I also add unbelievable, exciting, awesome & just simply amazing?!! I participated in my first ever marathon that weekend and if you told me eight years ago, that I was going to be doing one, I probably would tell you you're crazy. You see, it has been eight years since I last ran with the last time being when I was in high school for Cross Country and Track (I liked the first one better). I did the 2010 LA Marathon with my friend Lauren that I had met way back in the day when I was at COC.

All I remember, was one day my friends Lauren (she did the LA Marathon last year) and Cheryl and I was like cool. It was perhaps a few days later that it hit me. I was hanging with Cheryl and said, "you know what? I'm going to do it too. I've always wanted to do one (a marathon). Why not now?" So, I was onboard soon after that.

I picked the beginner training schedule off the Santa Clarita Marathon website and started training. Yes, I trained one or twice with Lauren and her friends but mostly I was on my own with the marathon training. One of the first things I did when I decided to go for it and run in a marathon was ask some of my close friends their thoughts about me doing a marathon. To my amazement, they were all pretty encouraging. I honestly thought I'd get one or two saying, "oh no, you can't" but there was none of that. My friends were all really supportive. When March 21 rolled around, it was AMAZING & unbelievable (unbelievable that I actually did a marathon!!)!!

No comments: